These little lampshades are only 15cm high. A customer brought the metal fittings in, that don’t fit any lampshade known to Wellingtonkind. I was intrigued by the little metal clips that attach the fitting directly to the lightbulb. We think they date from the 1930’s. You can see the circular rim of the fitting at the top of the shades.
I felt that the embroidered silk dupion suited the age of the fittings, as the roses are a bit “Charles Rennie Mackintosh”esque. Apparently they look just right in the oak panelled hallway.
These little shades are made from styrene, the outer fabric stuck on with spray adhesive. I finished the bottom edge with an old rose upholstery piping. The back seams are hand sewn through holes made with an awl.
Anything is possible when you make it yourself. I had no idea what I was going to end up with when I started on this project, I was just having fun with the techniques one uses to make “proper” lampshades.
Time taken: 2 hours
Cost of materials: 0.3m Styrene, $5.50, 1m piping $2.40, outer fabric free offcuts. Spray adhesive and double sided sellotape in small amounts.
Pleasure in the outcome and customer satisfaction: priceless!